Moving can be a hassle. Often homeowners are confused about where to begin. There’s just too much to do, and the stress of packing can take a toll on you. You can always hire a professional to get help with the hectic task of packing. However, it would be best if you still organized all your belongings so that when you move into your new house, unpacking does not seem too daunting.
This is where a South Florida pre-moving checklist comes in. One of the best ways to stay organized and sane is to list things you need to do and in order. There’s one thing though that we recommend that’s an absolute must: Hire the right company for the move because these people will be handling all your belongings, some of which are delicate and need to be transported with care.
Whether it’s a short distance or long distance move, follow the below-mentioned steps, and you won’t feel too stressed with all the things you need to do.
A Month Before the Move
- Search online, final three moving companies and get estimates from them. Make sure to check out what other people are saying about their services, which you can read on Better Business Bureau.
- Confirm the date, time, and costs involved with the move, and then make a reservation
4 Weeks Prior to the Move
- Organize a yard sale to sell any unnecessary items that you don’t want with you in the new house
- Donate your old clothes and other unused belongings to charity
- Empty your attic and basement
3 Weeks Prior to the Move
- Contact the post office and update your address
- Contact your insurance company and get the information updated there too
- Ask your doctor for a referral and get all your and your family’s records transferred to the new physician
- Cancel any subscriptions or agreements with utility companies, such as lawn mowing, pool care, cable, etc.
- Transfer your kids’ school records to the new school if you are moving far
- Write down the names of your family members, friends, relatives, and business colleagues so that you can call or shoot them a message about your move
- Make a list of all the valuable items that need to be packed first so you can get them out of the way
- Visit your new neighborhood and see where’s what so that the transition is easy
- Start organizing
2 Weeks Before the Move
- Start using things, which cannot be moved, like cleaning products, frozen food, etc. Take a look in your fridge and utilize all the groceries, making your meals in advance so that you don’t have to deal with cooking
- If you have pets, call your vet to ask about any precautions you need to take to make the move easy on them
- If you are moving out of state, make arrangements for the plants. According to the Department of Transportation, movers are not authorized to transport plants
1 Week Prior to the Move
- Call the moving company to make sure that your reservation is still in place
- Place all your important documents in a briefcase and valuables such as jewelry in a portable safe you can carry with you in your car
- Call your pharmacy and get your prescriptions refilled and transferred
- Return anything that you borrowed from your neighbors
- Clean your house or hire a maid to do it
- Take down the blinds and curtains
1 Day Before the Move
- Visit the ATM and takeout some cash for any unexpected emergencies
- If it’s a long-distance move, buy snacks for the road trip
- Disconnect all the appliances that you plan to leave in the house for the new owners
- Pack your toiletry bag so that you don’t have to hunt for your toothbrush and face wash the next morning in your new home
- Note down the meter reading to make sure that there’s no balance on your bills
- Supervise the movers and guide them when they are packing special items
- Confirm the destination details to make sure that your boxes will be delivered on time
- Arrive at your new home before the movers so that you can supervise the move-in
Tip the movers and pop a bottle of champagne to celebrate your move into your new home.
Get in touch with the Veteran Moving Company for your residential or commercial move. These expert movers also offer packing and unpacking services, making your move hassle-free. Just sit back and relax, and let them do the job. To get in touch with them, call on 561-944-7292.